Saturday, April 21, 2012

Butternut squash and mixed veggies over rice



Got a cute, tiny butternut squash from the farmers market to try because I never had one before and I'm in love.  This one was about 6 or 7 inches long.  I'm not sure how the huge, supermarket butternut squashes compare but when I split mine open all I could think of was Halloween!  Arguably the best smell ever is a fresh cut squash/pumpkin.  

Wasn't sure what to do with it so I peeled the skin off and cut into chunks, drizzled a little coconut oil and baked it in the oven on about 375 degrees for 20 minutes or so until done.  It was really amazing actually.  I don't think I would buy one of the huge ones in the supermarket, I'll stick to tiny farmers market squash.  Everything is better when it's tiny.  When veggies are allowed to grow so big (so they can make more $$$) they tend to be dry and flavorless.

I fried some baby broccoli and threw in some tomatoes for a minute and served it over some brown rice.  

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment